So why am I writing this blog........?

This blog is a way for me to record and reflect upon my day to day life and all the changes that have happened to me over the past 2 years. In a nut-shell I moved from the rich, bustling streets of London to the sleepy suburbs of Washington DC all in the name of love. My biggest reward in this adventure has been the love of my wonderful husband and the birth of our beautiful daughter. However this transition is not and has not been an easy one; it's been filled with tremendous highs and devastating lows- all part of life's rich tapestry and part of my story that I want to share as a mother, wife and of course as an English girl settling into life across the pond.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Big Move and First Night on the Boat.

It was a huge day yesterday, not only was Tabitha 6 months old but it was also the day that we packed up all our belongings, sent them into storage and began our adventure living upon Jubilee.  In truth yesterday was not a good day, if the heavy rain that set in at about 6am and stayed with us all day was any indication of the day and night that lay ahead I would have buried myself under the duvet and refused to come out.

                                               Waiting for the movers to finish.....

In general the move went well.  We had a very efficient removal company doing the work for us but it was just a long day.  In truth I think the whole experience was very stressful for Doug who saw his home for the past 11 years being packed up and taken away.  I'm used to moving (you tend to move around a lot in London) and I don't have the same emotional ties to the house as Doug has.
With everything safely packed away we eventually made it down to the Marina by about 7pm last night.  The elements looked kindly upon us as rain subsided for long enough to allow us to get a few essentials out of the car without getting soaked.  By this point Tabitha was screaming, so tired that she didn't know what to do with herself yet so over tired that she couldn't relax and settle.  Once we arrived on Jubilee I was keen (well anxious!) to get Tabby to bed and sleep as soon as possible, I gave her a feed and tried to settle her in her 'peapod' bed but she was having none of it.  Bless her, it must have felt like trying to sleep in a crisp packet, every time she moved the tent rustled and every time I tired to zip it up she woke and screamed- it was horrible for all!!!  Eventually Doug and I cracked and brought her into bed with us.  She immediately settled and nuzzled into me....I must admit I do like her sleeping with us- it feels like the most natural thing in the world to be doing.

We all woke up this morning at around 5.45am to the sound of the most incredible thunder and lightning.  All three of us lay in bed listening to the sound of the rain beating on the boat like a thousand mini drums, it was amazing and actually quite comforting.  The storm cleared by about 10 and our day began............

No comments:

Post a Comment